About this Journal
On 6 November 1891, a group of people interested in science gathered in the parlors of the Hotel Lindley in Los Angeles to organize an association for the promotion of all branches of natural history. Members suggested the name, Southern California Science Association, which was retained for several years. On 12 May 1896, a constitutional change created a new name for the association: The Southern California Academy of Sciences. The first periodical publication of the Academy was known as the Proceedings of the Southern California Academy of Sciences. Volume 1 no. 1 appeared in July 1896. Previous to this, in 1895, the Southern California Science association issued a paper by Bernhard Baumgardt on "Tidal Evolution". The Bulletin of the Academy was first published in 1902 as a monthly publication. This ambitious program was more than the members could handle and after four years, issues were reduced to one, two, or three each year. Publication has continued to the present time with three Bulletins issued each year. In addition a monograph series, Memoirs, was begun in 1938 with A *Check List of the Macro Lepidoptera of Canada and the United States of America *by Dr. J. McDunnough. These Memoirs are either longer manuscripts, a compilation of manuscripts on a particular subject, or manuscripts from a specific symposium.